8th fugitive found among over 2,000 workers in Las Piñas Pogo raid
MANILA, Philippines — Another Chinese fugitive was found among over 2,000 workers previously taken into custody by Philippine National Police (PNP) following a raid in a compound run by a Philippine offshore gaming operator (Pogo) in Las Piñas City last month.
PNP spokesperson Colonel Jean Fajardo revealed the Chinese fugitive was the eight discovered among the 2,714 ‘rescued’ Filipino and foreign workers of Xinchuang Network Technology Incorporated.
“Bale, pang walo na ito. Yung naunang apat na Chinese, yung tatlong Taiwanese, at ito pong pinakahuli nga po na lumalabas nga na isa pa doon sa big bosses po nitong naging subject natin ng search warrant, yung Xinchuang na networking na dating Hong Tai na company,” Fajardo said in a media briefing on Monday.
(This fugitive is the eighth. The previous four Chinese, the three Taiwanese, and now this is the latest, and he turned out to be one of the big bosses that have been the subject of our search warrant, that Xinchuang networking company that used to be Hong Tai company.)
PNP found out the fugitive’s identity after investigators looked into the profiles of the workers.
This was to determine whether or not the workers have existing criminal records.
“Na-isyuhan siya nung warrant of detention at lumalabas siya ay escapee from China at siya ay engaged in illegal activities, based doon sa dokumento na prinovide sa atin,” Fajardo narrated.
(Based on the document provided, a detention warrant has been served against him, and it appears that he is an escapee from China and had also engaged in illegal activities.)
All fugitives were already turned over to the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation.
They will be deported after coordination with foreign embassies.
Authorities had served warrants against the owners of Xinchuang for allegedly violating the Expanded Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act on June 27.
Operatives took custody of 2,714 Filipino and foreign workers from the Pogo firm in a subsequent raid.
They said 1,528 persons in the compound were Filipinos, and 1,186 were foreigners from 17 different countries.
Along with the captured fugitives, five Chinese underwent inquest proceedings at the Department of Justice in Manila on June 30.
Aside from facing a human trafficking charge, they are also being sued for violating the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012.