Warrant of arrest issued vs alleged gunman in Mindoro broadcaster’s slay
MANILA, Philippines — A warrant has been issued for the alleged gunman in the killing of radio broadcaster Cresenciano Bundoquin, the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS) said on Friday.
Bundoquin was killed on May 31 in Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro.
“The warrant for murder and attempted murder against Isabelo Lopez Bautista was signed last July 6, 2023 by Hon. Judge Josephine C. Caranzo, Presiding Judge, Branch 39, Regional Trial Court of Calapan City,” said the PTFoMS.
Bautista had already turned himself into authorities. He had been identified by at least three witnesses, but he maintained that he is innocent, said the PTFoMS.
Narciso Ignacio Guntan, an alleged accomplice, died in a motorcycle accident while fleeing the crime scene.
“With the issuance of the warrant of arrest, the process of rendering justice to Bundoquin and extracting the truth behind his death can now begin,” said PTFoMS Executive Director Paul M. Gutierrez.
“This would also give an opportunity for Bautista to prove his innocence as he claims before the proper channel, which is our court of law,” he added.
Gutierrez said that the PTFoMS would continue to look for pieces of evidence, with proper coordination with the National Bureau of Investigation and the Philippine National Police.