Almost 39,000 displaced by Mayon’s unrest — NDRRMC
MANILA, Philippines — Almost 39,000 individuals have so far been displaced by Mayon Volcano’s unrest, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Sunday.
According to NDRRMC’s 8 a.m. situational report, Mayon’s continuous volcanic activity has so far affected 38,979 persons or 10,123 families from 26 barangays in the Bicol region.
The volcano remains under Alert Level 3.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology also on Sunday morning reported that Mayon’s lava has flowed up to 1.5 kilometers (km) from the crater, while three volcanic earthquakes and 2754 rockfall events were recorded in the last 24 hours.
Phivolcs said it monitored a “very slow effusion of lava flow to maximum lengths of 1.5 km and lava collapse on Mi-isi and Bonga Gullies within 3.3km from the crater.”
The NDRRMC report added that no seaports were affected and no flights were canceled amid the volcano’s unrest.
To aid the displaced locals, the NDRRMC said that the national government has already extended P62,426,692 worth of assistance.