ITCZ to dump rain over Visayas, Mindanao
MANILA, Philippines — The intertropical convergence zone (ITCZ) will trigger rain in Visayas and Mindanao on Friday, said the state weather bureau.
In a late Thursday afternoon weather forecast, Philippine Astronomical, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said fair weather will persist in the two major island groups from morning until noon, but this may change in the afternoon.
“Sa bahagi naman ng Visayas at Mindanao, dahil sa epekto ng ITCZ, mataas ang tsansa ng pag-ulan diyan pagsapit ng hapon, gabi at madaling araw,” weather specialist Ana Clauren-Jorda said.
(In Visayas and Mindanao, there are high chances of ITCZ-induced rain in the afternoon, evening, and at dawn.)
Meanwhile, hot weather will prevail in Luzon, including Metro Manila, Clauren-Jorda said.
She noted, however, there are also chances of rainfall in the area from afternoon to evening.
Clauren-Jorda also took note of the low pressure area (LPA) in Pagasa’s radar – some 2,210 kilometers east of Mindanao.
The LPA, which is inside the ITCZ, is currently outside the Philippine area of responsibility and is unlikely to develop into a storm within the next 24 hours, she said.
“Ngunit, dahil nasa karagatan ito, hindi natin inaalis ang posibilidad na mag-intensify o mas lumakas ito sa susunod na mga araw,” Clauren-Jorda added.
(But, since this is in the ocean, we’re not ruling out the possibility of the LPA intensifying or picking up strength in the next few days.)
Meanwhile, Pagasa listed the expected range of temperature in the following areas on Friday:
• Metro Manila — 26 to 33 degrees Celsius
• Baguio — 17 to 24 degrees Celsius
• Laoag — 26 to 33 degrees Celsius
• Tuguegarao — 27 to 37 degrees Celsius
• Legazpi — 26 to 33 degrees Celsius
• Puerto Princesa — 26 to 33 degrees Celsius
• Tagaytay — 24 to 31 degrees Celsius
• Kalayaan Islands — 27 to 32 degrees Celsius
• Iloilo — 27 to 32 degrees Celsius
• Cebu — 27 to 34 degrees Celsius
• Tacloban — 26 to 33 degrees Celsius
• Cagayan de Oro — 25 to 33 degrees Celsius
• Zamboanga — 25 to 33 degrees Celsius
• Davao — 24 to 33 degrees Celsius
Click here for more weather related news.