9 Makati public schools are now getting electric power from solar panels
MANILA, Philippines — The city government of Makati said Thursday that nine public schools in the city are now powered by solar panels as part of a project to create a sustainable and resilient city.
In a statement, the city government said the transition to solar power was made as part of the city’s sustainable energy initiatives.
“As a city, we have a responsibility to protect the environment and address the effects of climate change. The use of solar panels in schools is just one step towards achieving our goal of creating a more sustainable and resilient city,” said Mayor Abby Binay in the ceremonial launching of the city’s project on the installation of solar panels in the city’s public schools.
“By investing in solar panels for our public schools, we are taking a step towards a greener, more sustainable future for our beloved city,” she added.
The nine Makati public schools that have installed solar panels are the following:
- San Antonio National High School
- Makati High School
- East Rembo Elementary School
- Makati Elementary School
- Pembo Elementary School
- San Antonio Village Elementary School
- Nicanor Garcia Elementary School
- Tibagan High School
- Rizal Elementary School
As one the first schools to have fully-operational solar panels on-site, San Antonio High School reported that 88 percent of its current total electricity consumption came from collected solar power energy, while the remaining 12 percent was sourced from the usual electric distribution utility company.
Binay, meanwhile, reported that the same school had environmental benefits that translated to an equivalent of 2.41 trees planted and 4.35 tons of carbon dioxide emissions saved.
“The city’s solar panel project is an excellent example of how local governments can take action to promote sustainable energy practices and lead by example. The initiative is a significant step towards a more sustainable future and one that will inspire other cities and communities to follow suit,” Binay said.
Meanwhile, panel installation is ongoing at Fort Bonifacio High School, Guadalupe Viejo Elementary School, Gen. Pio del Pilar National High School, Bangkal Elementary School-Main, Benigno “Ninoy” S. Aquino High School, and Pitogo Elementary School.
A total of 25 elementary and high schools are aimed to be powered by solar energy, with the next phase of the project expected to cover 10 more public schools in the city.
Makati also plans to implement sustainable transportation models such as a smart public transport system that uses electric vehicles. Denver Godezano, INQUIRER.net trainee
Makati City declares ‘climate emergency’
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.