PNP supports QC-PLEB’s decision to dismiss cop in hit-and-run of trike driver
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) said on Tuesday that it respects the decision of the Quezon City People’s Law Enforcement Board (PLEB) to dismiss the city Police District Crime Investigation and Detection Unit’s former head and suspend three other officers over a hit-and-run incident that killed a tricycle driver last year.
“We support the ongoing proceedings in relation to this case and will respect whatever decision the appropriate disciplinary body will come up [with] until it reaches finality while also affording due process to those involved,” said PNP chief Gen. Rodolfo Azurin Jr. in a statement.
Azurin emphasized that the PNP will “never tolerate any misdoings among its ranks if committed blatantly in disregard of the law” as it actively implements internal cleansing programs within the police force.
He added that the PNP would protect the organization’s integrity “by being circumspect in all their actions, within or even outside the bounds of its official duty.”
On March 27, PLEB relieved Police Lt. Col. Mark Julio Abong from the service and meted a 60-day suspension on PCol. Alexander Barredo, PCpl. Joan Vicente and PSMS. Jose Soriano, as stated under its 19-page decision.
READ: QC-PLEB dismisses cop tagged in 2022 hit-and-run of tricycle driver
Meanwhile, it acquitted nine other Quezon City police officers.
Reports said that Abong was charged for Joel Larosa’s death and the tricycle driver’s passenger’s injury in a hit-and-run incident along Anonas Street in August last year.
The family of Larosa filed criminal complaints against Abong and three others and accused them of covering up the case.
Owner of pick-up truck in QC hit-and-run case faces homicide raps
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.