MMDA: Number coding scheme in forceTuesday-Friday despite week-long strike
MANILA, Philippines — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said it would no longer suspend the number coding scheme in the next days of the week-long transportation strike.
This means that the number coding scheme will stay in effect from Tuesday through Friday after lifting its implementation on Monday, March 6, or at the start of the strike staged by organizations of public utility drivers and operators under Manibela.
“Ang MMDA ay nag-decide na hindi na palawakin ang number coding scheme suspension, ang atin pong coding ay meron na ulit bukas,” MMDA acting chair Don Artes said in a press briefing.
(The MMDA has decided not to extend the number coding scheme suspension, our coding will be in force again tomorrow.)
LIVE UPDATES: Face-to-face classes, work suspended as transport strike looms
According to the MMA official, their decision to keep the number coding scheme during the remaining days of the week-long strike was based on their monitoring of the event. He said that based on the observation of MMDA officers, the turnaround time of public transportation on Monday slowed down because of the volume of private vehicles on the streets amid the number coding scheme suspension.
Artes previously said the suspension of the number coding scheme would depend on the gravity of the transport strike.
Public utility drivers and operators under Manibela scheduled their strike this week to register firm opposition to the government’s planned phaseout of traditional jeepneys.
Week-long transport strike on March 6 will continue, says Manibela
Striking drivers face penalties, DOTr warns
Palace: Only ‘handful of routes’ in Metro Manila affected by transport strike
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.