Villanueva to file reso condemning murder of gov’t officials, urging PNP to bring justice
MANILA, Philippines — Senate Majority Leader Joel Villanueva is set to file a resolution condemning the consecutive murders of several government officials and employees, and urging the Philippine National Police (PNP) to “exert all efforts” to ensure the safety of all.
According to Villanueva, Senate President Migz Zubiri, and Senators JV Ejercito, Nancy Binay, Grace Poe, Raffy Tulfo, Sonny Angara, Bato dela Rosa, Bong Revilla, Francis Tolentino, Win Gatchalian, Loren Legarda, Jinggoy Estrada, Mark Villar and Bong Go have so far signed the said resolution.
This came just a day after another official, Negros Oriental Gov. Roel Degamo was gunned down at his home in Pamplona on Saturday. Apart from Degamo, five other individuals were also killed.
Villanueva’s resolution pointed out that in a span of only 15 days from February 17 to March 4, 2023, at least three more local executives were injured or killed in ambushes — including Lanao del Sur Governor Mamintal Adiong Jr. who was shot at and wounded in Bukidnon last Feb. 17; Aparri, Cagayan Vice Mayor Rommel Alameda’s who was murdered on Feb. 19; and the ambush against Maguindanao Mayor Ohto Montawal who ended up injured along Roxas Boulevard in Pasay City last Feb 22.
Aside from these, the resolution also cited the following attacks on retired government officials in 2022:
- Former Dolores, Quezon Vice Mayor Danilo Amat who was ambushed while he was driving in San Pablo City, Laguna on July 22, 2022;
- Former Lamitan City, Basilan Mayor Rose Furigay who was killed on July 24, 2022, at the Ateneo de Manila University before the conduct of a graduation ceremony;
- Former Lobo, Batangas Vice Mayor Romeo Sulit was attacked and killed while he was delivering a speech at a birthday party on August 12, 2022;
- Former Dipaculao, Aurora Vice Mayor Narciso Amansec who was ambushed while traveling last October 3, 2022;
- Former Calbiga, Samar Mayor Miguel Abaigar Jr. was riding his bicycle when he was shot in the back last October 7, 2022;
“The Senate of the Philippines, in the strongest sense, urges the Philippine National Police and other law enforcement agencies to exert all efforts to bring the perpetrators to justice for the sake of all victims and their families,” the resolution read.
“Be it resolved… to urge the Philippine National Police and other law enforcement agencies to undertake the necessary steps in ensuring the safety of all to address the rampant violence and killings, including the prompt, impartial, and efficient investigation and prosecution of cases,” it added.
Lawmakers condemn Negros Oriental gov’s assassination
Makabayan solon denounces attacks on public officials
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.