LIST: Things you should know before bringing pets aboard LRT-2
MANILA, Philippines — Want to take your pets on a day trip around the metro using public transportation?
Starting Feb. 1, you can do so in the Light Rail Transit Line 2 (LRT-2).
As you plan your trip with your furry little best friend riding the LRT-2, here are the things you should know:
- You can only bring one pet (dog or cat) of small size per passenger, free of charge.
- Pets should be placed inside an enclosed carrier or cage not exceeding two feet by two feet.
- The carriers should be on the passenger’s lap or the floor at the passenger’s feet.
- Strollers for pets are not allowed.
- Pets must wear a diaper to maintain cleanliness and sanitation during the trip.
- Pets will be subject to inspection, and their owners must present their pet’s vaccination cards.
- The carriers or cages should not occupy an extra seat on the train.
- Owners and pets will only be allowed to board at the end coach of the train.
- Feeding pets inside the train and LRT-2 stations are prohibited.
In its guidelines, the management LRT Authority (LRTA) said the train system “at its sole discretion,” can refuse to transport pets that appear to be unruly, aggressive, distressed, in pain, and poses a threat to the health or safety of other passengers.
The LRTA also said that the owners would be responsible for any injury or damage caused to or by the pet.
LRTA administrator Hernando Cabrera said the move to allow pets on the train line is aimed at making it “pet-friendly.”
Currently, the LRTA is distributing information materials and briefing their security personnel about the new policy that will be implemented.
“We expect na hindi plantsado sa usually na may ganitong bagong polisiya, ‘yung first day, first week,” he said.
(We expect that the implementation will not be as smooth, especially during the first day or the first week of the new policy.)
“Gusto natin ma-implement ito then ayusin natin whatever ‘yung mga operational concern and issues,” Cabrera added.
(We just want to implement this and then we will finetune the policy and fix operational concerns and issues.)
READ: Pets can ride LRT-2 starting Feb. 1
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.