22 people, mostly kids, hurt in firecracker blasts in Bicol
LEGAZPI CITY — The Department of Health (DOH) and the Bicol police reported at least 22 firecracker-related injuries, where most of the victims were minors.
In a report on Monday, DOH said 11 victims were aged 7 to 15 years old.
A total of 12 cases were recorded in the Dec. 21 to Jan. 1 monitoring from Albay, two in Camarines Norte and five from Camarines Sur.
Seven cases were caused by kwitis, five were due to five star, four from improvised canon (boga), one from the fountain, one from rebentador and another case due whistle bomb.
Only 13 cases were recorded over the same period last year.
DOH said it recorded 46 percent increase compared to the previous year but “still lower than the 5-year average.”
In a separate report, the Catanduanes police recorded two firecracker-related cases in the towns of Bato and Baras in Catanduanes while an elderly was also injured based on the report of the police in Naga City in Camarines Sur, all caused by kwitis.
Lieutenant Colonel Maria Luisa Calubaquib, spokesperson of Bicol police, said in a press statement that the region has recorded no major incidents during the Yuletide festivities.
“During the period, only minor firecracker incidents were noted while two alarms and scandal for illegal discharge of firearms were recorded,” she said in a statement. INQ