Quezon province placed under state of calamity
LUCENA CITY – The provincial government of Quezon declared a state of calamity on Monday due to widespread destruction caused by Severe Tropical Storm “Paeng” (international name: Nalgae) which hit the country last weekend.
In a special online session held on Monday afternoon (Oct. 31), Vice Governor Anacleto Alcala III and the provincial council, acting on the letter by Governor Angelina Tan, declared a state of calamity in the province, the Quezon public information office announced on its Facebook.
The Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office in a report on Monday at 6 p.m., said Paeng displaced 33,786 families composed of 122,107 individuals from 753 barangays (villages).
At least 802 houses were destroyed and 10,932 houses were damaged.
The Quezon agriculture office has yet to provide a report on the extent of damage to the agriculture and fishery sectors.
Lucena City, the capital of the province, also declared a state of calamity.
Last month, the provincial government also placed the island towns of Polillo, Burdeos, Panukulan, Patnanungan,Jomalig and the municipality of General Nakar under a state of calamity after Super Typhoon “Karding” (international name: Noru) devastated the said areas.
The declaration of a state of calamity is crucial for local government units as this will enable them to use their calamity funds.
The move will also be an effective mechanism to control the prices of goods and commodities in the areas.