6 nabbed over online ‘sabong’ in Pasig
MANILA, Philippines — Six men were arrested after they were caught in the act of playing online cockfighting, called “sabong” in the vernacular, which has been outlawed by authorities since May.
The men included three tricycle riders, a jeepney driver, a motor shop owner, and a small-town lottery collector.
All of them were caught betting online while waiting for passengers to come inside a general merchandise store at Barangay Pinagbuhatan in Pasig City on Tuesday afternoon.
The police said they arrested the men upon the complaint of a concerned citizen.
E-sabong was previously regulated by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. before it was outlawed by then-President Rodrigo Duterte in May, upon the recommendation of the Department of the Interior and Local Government.
—DEXTER V. CABALZA
E-sabong probe findings reach Senate plenary
Authorities take down 7 ‘e-sabong’ websites, says DILG
DILG: All ‘e-sabong’ ops halted
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.