BARMM under state of calamity for 2 months due to massive floods
COTABATO CITY — Officials of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) placed the entire region under a state of calamity as floods hit its seat of government here and several villages in Cotabato province under its administrative jurisdiction.
Interim Chief Minister Ahod “Al Haj Murad” Ebrahim signed Proclamation No. 0003 on Aug. 18, but which was only made public on Thursday, placing the entire region under a state of calamity for more than two months—from Aug. 18 to Oct. 31.
Ebrahim cited Section 32 of the Bangsamoro Organic Law that gave him the power to proclaim a state of calamity in the region during times of disasters, man-made or natural, that cause widespread destruction to life or property in the BARMM.
“The declaration of calamity will provide augmentation to the ongoing response operations and recovery efforts of BARMM,” Ebrahim said.
This developed as 20 of 37 barangays in Cotabato City were flooded, affecting thousands of residents in low-lying villages.
Submerged for 30 days
At least 80 percent of 63 villages in Cotabato province that make up the BARMM special geographic area have also been underwater in the last 30 days.
BARMM, however, still had to release the total number of barangays and the corresponding number of residents affected since these were still being validated and counterchecked, officials said.
On Wednesday, the Maguindanao provincial board also placed the province under a state of calamity due to a series of floods that submerged 105 villages in 15 of 36 towns.
Maguindanao Vice Gov. Bai Ainee Sinsuat said the declaration was approved during the Sangguniang Panlalawigan’s regular session, upon the recommendation of the provincial disaster risk reduction and management council (PDRRMC).
Sinsuat said the floods displaced 46,922 families (234,610 people), half of whom remain in evacuation centers.
Prior to the provincewide calamity declaration, six towns were already placed under a state of calamity due to floods that began in late July.
Nasrullah Imam, Maguindanao PDRRMC officer, said some of the displaced families stayed with relatives.
Maguindanao’s calamity declaration came after disaster response and agriculture officials reported that at least P130.5 million worth of crops, mostly palay, had been destroyed by floods.