Pagasa: Cloudy, rainy Saturday even as LPA nears exit
MANILA, Philippines — The low pressure area (LPA) over the West Philippine Sea is expected to exit the Philippine area pf responsibility in the next 24 hours, but cloudy skies and scattered rains will persist nationwide on Saturday, according to the state weather bureau.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said that the LPA, as of 3:00 a.m., was spotted some 140 kilometers northwest of Pangasinan.
“Sa ngayon po ay nasa West Philippine Sea na ito [LPA] at inaasang unti-unting lalayo na sa ating kalupaan. Actually within the next 24 hours, ay posibleng lumabas na ito sa ating Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR),” said Pagasa weather specialist Benison Estreja.
(The LPA is over the West Philippine Sea and is expected to move farther away from land. It is possible that the LPA will leave PAR within the next 24 hours).
Pagasa said Metro Manila, the Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Central Luzon, Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon, Mindoro Occidental, Mindoro Oriental, Marinduque, Romblon, Palawan, the Bicol region, Pangasinan, Nueva Vizcaya, and Quirino will experience scattered rain showers and thunderstorms due to the combined effects of the LPA and the southwest monsoon or “habagat.”
Pagasa warned of possible landslides and flash floods.
“Posible rin tayong magtaas ng rainfall advisories and heavy rainfall warnings ngayong araw ng Sabado,” said Estreja.
(We may issue rainfall advisories and heavy rainfall warnings this Saturday.)
The rest of the country will experience partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated rain showers or thunderstorms, Pagasa added.
Pagasa did not issue a gale warning.
Below is the temperature on Saturday in key cities / areas:
- Metro Manila — 24 to 28 degrees Celsius
- Baguio — 17 to 23 degrees Celsius
- Laoag — 25 to 32 degrees Celsius
- Tuguegarao —24 to 32 degrees Celsius
- Legazpi — 24 to 30 degrees Celsius
- Puerto Princesa — 25 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Tagaytay — 21 to 27 degrees Celsius
- Kalayaan Islands — 24 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Iloilo — 25 to 30 degrees Celsius
- Cebu — 24 to 30 degrees Celsius
- Tacloban — 24 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Cagayan de Oro — 24 to 31 degrees Celsius
- Zamboanga — 25 to 29 degrees Celsius
- Davao — 25 to 30 degrees Celsius
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.