Gov’t urged to solve Mindanao brownouts
MANILA, Philippines—A Catholic bishop on Monday joined calls for the government to immediately find a solution to the ongoing rotational brownouts in parts of Mindanao.
Basilan Bishop Martin Jumoad lamented that the frequent power interruptions in the region have already affected the daily lives of residents and have even taken their toll on household appliances.
“Due to the blackouts, most appliances are destroyed and many things are affected,” Jumoad told reporters when reached by phone on Monday.
Jumoad added that he was, however, thankful that the power interruptions have not yet affected the attendance of the faithful in Sunday masses. “Church attendance is okay because the people are already getting used to the brownouts,” he said.
“[But] I hope the government may find solution to this problem,” Jumoad said.
The National Grid Corp. of the Philippines last week announced that the Mindanao grid lacked 178 megawatts, an increase of 40 MW from the 138 MW shortfall on Feb. 22.
It attributed the increase in power supply deficiency to the 38-MW drop in available capacity from 1,117 MW on Feb. 22 to 1,079 MW last week.
Several electric organizations in Mindanao have already urged lawmakers for a congressional inquiry into the frequent power interruptions occurring in the region.