Pregnant woman dies, 22 missing in Mediterranean shipwreck—MSF | Inquirer News
Close  

Pregnant woman dies, 22 missing in Mediterranean shipwreck—MSF

/ 01:39 PM June 29, 2022
Pregnant woman dies, 22 missing in Mediterranean shipwreck—MSF

This photo taken on June 27, 2022 and handout on June 28 by Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sand Frontieres, MSF) shows a rescue operation of 71 people from a rubber boat in distress, by the crew of the charity’s Geo Barents migrant rescue ship in the central Mediterranean. AFP

ROME—A pregnant woman died and at least 22 people including children are missing, presumed drowned, following a shipwreck in the central Mediterranean, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said Tuesday.

The crew of the charity’s Geo Barents migrant rescue ship did however manage to pull 71 survivors, including a four-month-old baby, from the sinking rubber boat after it collapsed on Monday, it said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“What we faced yesterday was our worst nightmare coming true,” the ship’s search and rescue team leader Riccardo Gatti said in an MSF statement.

The boat was sinking and many people were already in the sea when the Geo Barents arrived following a distress call from migrant rescue hotline Alarm Phone.

FEATURED STORIES

The pregnant woman was brought on board but did not survive despite desperate attempts to resuscitate her, MSF said.

It said that at least 22 people are missing, according to information being gathered from survivors.

Two women had reported losing their children at sea, while another young woman lost her little brother.

The baby that was rescued required emergency care before she and her mother were evacuated to Malta, but the others remain on board until the Geo Barents can find a port to disembark.

“The survivors are exhausted,” said Stephanie Hofstetter, MSF medical team leader on board.

“Many have ingested large amounts of seawater and multiple people suffered from hypothermia after spending many hours in the water.

“At least 10 people, mostly women, are suffering from medium to severe fuel burns and need further treatment beyond what can be delivered on board.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The Central Mediterranean crossing is considered the world’s deadliest for migrants in unseaworthy vessels.

Nearly 27,000 people have reached Italy by sea so far this year from the coast of North Africa, according to Italy’s interior ministry, compared to just under 20,000 in the same period in 2021.

“Tragedies at sea continue to cost thousands of lives, and these people are being lost on Europe’s doorstep in absolute silence and indifference on the part of EU states,” MSF spokesman Juan Matias Gil said.

RELATED STORIES

Libyan navy: 63 missing in new Mediterranean sea mishap

Around 250 feared dead on ‘Black Day’ in Mediterranean

Italy lets 800 migrants stuck at sea disembark

Italian coast guard: Migrant bodies washed ashore or in sea

Subscribe to our daily newsletter


Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Italy, Mediterranean, migrants, Shipwreck
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.