Protests welcome during Sara Duterte inaugural | Inquirer News

Protests welcome during Sara Duterte inaugural

Protests welcome during Sara Duterte inaugural

Vice President-elect Sara Duterte-Carpio. Image from BBM-Sara Uniteam / Facebook

DAVAO CITY—Protest actions during the inauguration of Vice President-elect Sara Duterte on June 19 would be allowed, a police official said.

But groups have to secure a permit from the local government and ensure their activity does not disrupt the oath-taking rites and overall public safety, said city police spokesperson Major Maria Teresita Gaspan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gaspan said they are observing maximum tolerance during that historic day for the city.

“That is included in our preparation. So far, here in the city, even if there are rallies, the rallyists are disciplined. There has not been any rally that turned violent or crimes that took place,” Gaspan noted.

FEATURED STORIES

Duterte will take her oath as the country’s 15th Vice President on San Pedro Street, the city’s oldest road, with around 20,000 people expected to attend. The ceremony will be held after a mass at the San Pedro Cathedral early afternoon.

Former President Macapagal-Arroyo has reportedly confirmed attendance.

The police plan to deploy about 2,000 officers to secure the event, which will require traffic rerouting as several roads will be temporarily closed.

Gaspan said those attending would undergo strict security protocols. Security personnel will cordon the event area days before the inaugural.

Those who want to witness the event would not be allowed to carry backpacks, or sharp objects, including umbrellas, not wear jackets, and allow themselves to be inspected, Gaspan added.

lzb

RELATED STORIES:

VP-elect Sara Duterte to be inaugurated in Davao on June 19

Sara Duterte’s proclamation on June 19 also a thanksgiving event

Davao City Police beefs up security ahead of VP – elect Sara Duterte’s inauguration

Will PNP allow rallyists near Marcos inauguration? Danao says only if they’re shouting ‘mabuhay’

‘Illegal rallyists’ not allowed near Bongbong Marcos’ inauguration site — PNP exec

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Davao City, protest actions, Sara Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.