Ex-Proud Boys head Tarrio, two others plead not guilty to seditious conspiracy | Inquirer News
Close  

Ex-Proud Boys head Tarrio, two others plead not guilty to seditious conspiracy

/ 08:29 AM June 10, 2022
FILE PHOTO: Members of the far-right Proud Boys, including leader Enrique Tarrio (C), rally in support of U.S. President Donald Trump to protest against the results of the 2020 U.S. presidential election, in Washington, U.S. November 14, 2020. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/File Photo

FILE PHOTO: Members of the far-right Proud Boys, including leader Enrique Tarrio (C), rally in support of U.S. President Donald Trump to protest against the results of the 2020 U.S. presidential election, in Washington, U.S. November 14, 2020. REUTERS/Hannah McKay/File Photo

WASHINGTON — Former Proud Boys Chairman Enrique Tarrio and two other members of the far-right group on Thursday pleaded not guilty to seditious conspiracy charges that were filed against them earlier this week in connection with their alleged roles in storming the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

The not-guilty pleas by Tarrio and co-defendants Joseph Biggs and Dominic Pezzola came during a virtual court hearing in Washington, just hours before the Democratic-led U.S. House Select Committee investigating the Capitol riot will hold its first in a series of planned public hearings to reveal its findings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Two other defendants – Ethan Nordean and Zachary Rehl – could not be present for the hearing and are expected to be arraigned at a future date.

The case marks the second time that the Justice Department has taken the unusual step of filing seditious conspiracy charges in connection with the Capitol riot by supporters of then-president Donald Trump.

FEATURED STORIES

Earlier this year, 11 members of the far-right Oath Keepers, including its leader Stewart Rhodes, were also charged with seditious conspiracy for allegedly playing a similar leadership role in the deadly attack.

During Thursday’s hearing, one of the defense lawyers questioned whether prosecutors had intentionally timed the new indictment with the committee’s prime time hearing, an accusation prosecutors denied and which U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly called “unwarranted.”

“Mixing politics and criminal justice is dangerous,” said Nick Smith, counsel to Nordean. “We have to run from it like fire.”

Attorneys for the five defendants also complained about the committee’s plans to release transcripts from interviews with 1,000 witnesses, saying they fear it could be dumped during the trial, which is scheduled to start Aug. 8.

Kelly said what the House Select Committee does is “beyond the power of anyone” sitting in the hearing, and while everyone should be mindful of the committee’s actions, he does not see an immediate need to delay the trial.

RELATED STORY:

Proud Boys leader Tarrio charged with sedition for role in US Capitol attack

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: conspiracy, Enrique Tarrio, Proud Boys, Sedition, US Capitol attack
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.