Palace: No official order yet closing e-sabong; Pagcor to find new revenue source | Inquirer News
Close  

Palace: No official order yet closing e-sabong; Pagcor to find new revenue source

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 03:35 PM May 04, 2022
President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to issue an official order to finally stop the operations of e-sabong or online cockfighting, Malacañang said Wednesday. 

FILE PHOTO: Communications Secretary Martin Andanar. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO / JOAN BONDOC

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to issue an official order to finally stop the operations of e-sabong or online cockfighting, Malacañang said Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Duterte on Tuesday ordered an end to e-sabong operations following the recommendation of Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, citing its social cost to Filipinos. According to Duterte, an order stopping e-sabong operations will come out by Tuesday.

“Sa ngayon wala pang official document na galing sa Malacañang Records Office [As of now there is no official document from the Malacañang Records Office],” acting presidential spokesman Secretary Martin Andanar said in a Palace briefing.

FEATURED STORIES

The Department of the Interior and Local Government warned violators of the directive to halt the operations of e-sabong will face arrest and risk being charged in court, saying games are now “illegal.”

Alternative sources of income

Duterte initially had been reluctant in suspending e-sabong operations, saying that the government needs the billions of pesos of revenues it generates.

However, with the order of closure, Malacañang said it “trusts” the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) to find alternative sources of income.

“As to the other sources of income. Tiwala po kami sa kakayahan ng Pagcor to generate new revenues [We trust Pagcor in its capability to find and generate new revenues],” Andanar said.

JPV

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: e-sabong, Malacañang, official order, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.