Pagcor chair pushes for independent regulating body for e-sabong | Inquirer News

Pagcor chair pushes for independent regulating body for e-sabong

/ 12:44 PM April 27, 2022
The chairman of Pagcor is pushing for the creation of an independent body regulating e-sabong operations in the country.

Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (PAGCOR) chairman and chief executive officer Andrea Domingo nixes the immediate suspension of e-sabong (online cockfighting) operations, noting that PAGCOR might be liable for the suspension of e-sabong operations if it is done without legal basis. Senate PRIB file photo / Voltaire Domingo

MANILA, Philippines — The chairman of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) is pushing for the creation of an independent body regulating e-sabong operations in the country.

During the Kapihan sa Manila Bay forum on Wednesday, Pagcor chair Atty. Andrea Domingo acknowledged the contribution of e-sabong to the corporation’s revenues. However, she also cited the recent controversies linked to e-sabong operations.


“I would really encourage that there will be an independent regulator for e-sabong (electronic sabong), away from Pagcor,” Domingo said.

“’Yung operations of Pagcor malawak na. Malaki nga yung contribution ng e-sabong, mga 8 percent to 10 percent ng total income. Kaya lang, dahil sa controversies surrounding it, nahahawa yung 90 percent ng operations,” she added.


(Pagcor’s operations are already wide. The contribution of e-sabong is huge—around 8 to 10 percent of the total income. However, the recent controversies surrounding it is affecting the remaining 90 percent of the operations.)

Domingo said a separate body should focus on e-sabong since it operates under a hybrid set-up.

“May traditional operations na controlled ng LGUs (local government units), hindi namin control ang laro. Control lang namin ang online betting (We have traditional operations controlled by LGUS. We don’t have control of the games, we only have control over online betting),” Domingo said.

For instance, Domingo cited the e-sabong operations that happened during the Holy Week which were questioned by senators. She explained that e-sabong happened because mayors issued permits allowing traditional cockfighting to take place.

“Binigyan ng mga mayor ng permit na magka-traditional sabong, na magkaroon ng sabong sa mga studios at yun ang vi-nideo stream ng mga operators. Wala kaming control dun,” Domingo said.

(Mayors gave permits to allow traditional cockfighting in studies which were video streamed by operators. We don’t have control over that.)

“Sinulatan namin ang mga mayors to explain. Pina-explain kami ng mga senador bakit nagkaroon ng e-sabong during that time… Kung mayroong isa lang na magha-handle nyan, mawawala na sa Pagcor, we can concentrate on our present offerings,” she added.


(We wrote a letter to the mayors to explain because we were asked by senators why there was e-sabong at that time… If there is a body handling that and it will no longer be with Pagcor, we can concentrate on our present offerings.)

READ: Duterte justifies not suspending e-sabong 

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Andrea Domingo, e-sabong, gaming income, Pagcor
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2022 | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.