Duterte warns of possible resurgence of COVID-19 cases
MANILA, Philippines — There’s a “distinct possibility” of a resurgence of COVID-19 cases, President Rodrigo Duterte warned on Monday in his weekly taped “Talk to the People” briefing.
He reminded the public to maintain health protocols and get vaccinated against the severe respiratory illness.
“There’s a distinct possibility that there will be another surge,” he said. “Maybe not the COVID-19, the original, but these variants. We do not know if the variants would really be powerful or weak as to put us again in the bind.”
He also cautioned the public about the Omicron XE, which he said was “appearing on the horizon again in the surveillance of our medical people.”
“We don’t go into a nervous state, but we just have to be very careful, and I’d like you to maintain the protocols that have been proven to help us a lot in combating the virus,” the president said.
He reiterated that COVID-19 was “here to stay,” but he said it would become “irrelevant” once the majority of Filipinos had been vaccinated.
“If there’s a good number of Filipinos that have not yet been vaccinated, it’s not that I’m getting down on my knees before you, but I am appealing to you that it’s a good vaccine,” Duterte said, speaking in a mix of Filipino and English.
Dr. Rontgene Solante, an infectious disease expert, earlier warned that the Philippines might face another surge in COVID-19 cases after the May 9 polls.
He cited the conduct of superspreader events coupled with the “waning immunity” among the population of people who had not received their booster shot.
Health expert warns of COVID-19 ‘surge’ after May 9 polls
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.