Ex-gov apologizes to Marcos Jr. over heckling incident | Inquirer News
Close  

Ex-gov apologizes to Marcos Jr. over heckling incident

/ 01:25 PM March 03, 2022
A former governor of Negros Occidental apologized to presidential aspirant Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.

Former governor of Negros Occidental Rafael Coscolluela (R) and Presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong: Marcos Jr. (L) | INQUIRER.net file photo

BACOLOD CITY––A former governor of Negros Occidental apologized to presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., for being heckled by young protesters during a caravan on Feb. 23 in Talisay City.

Rafael Coscolluela, who heads the Leni Robredo-Kiko Pangilinan campaign in Negros Occidental, said they do not encourage such behavior or tolerate the same within their ranks.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I apologize to Mr. Marcos and his companions for the heckling (incident). I urge everyone to refrain from such actions for the duration of the campaign,” said Coscolluela in a statement released on Feb. 25.

Clad in pink shirts, youth supporters of Robredo were seen shouting “magnanakaw” (robber) and “kawatan (thief)” as the caravan of Marcos passed through Talisay City, Negros Occidental.

FEATURED STORIES

They also threw Leni-Kiko fliers, one of which landed on Marcos’ face.

Coscolluela said the Robredo People’s Council has consistently exhorted its volunteers to observe proper conduct during the campaigns.

“It cannot be denied, however, that partisan emotions can run high and result in confrontational actions – albeit done while exercising one’s freedom of speech – that are hateful, hurtful, or uncalled for,” he said.

“We do not encourage such behavior, nor will we tolerate the same from among our ranks. As far as I know, the heckling was not premeditated. Certainly, it would never have been allowed if our blessings had been sought. It is in this light that I express my deep remorse over what happened, even as I recognize the sentiments that fueled such emotions,” he added.

Talisay Mayor Neil Lizares ordered an investigation on the heckling incident.

“The rude behavior is not and will never be acceptable. The City of Talisay will not tolerate this behavior and assures you all that necessary actions will be made after proper investigation,” he said.

Lizares said they made sure the caravan would go smoothly, but the acts of the people on the sidewalk were beyond their control.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We will never tire of reminding our beloved Talisaynons to always practice respect and compassion. Again, we remind all Talisaynons to exercise prudence in the exercise of our rights,” the mayor said.

“While we have different political views and support different candidates, we make sure to exercise our right to choose responsibly. We always believe that our rights end when the right of others begins,” he added.

lzb

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: #2022candidates, #VotePH2022, apology, Caravan, Elections 2022, Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr., former governor, heckling, Negros Occidental, Politics, protesters, Talisay City
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.