Villar pledges support to ‘Mega Bridge’ masterplan for inter-island connectivity
MANILA, Philippines — Former Public Works and Highways chief Mark A. Villar on Wednesday promised to push for the inter-island “Mega Bridge” masterplan that would connect island provinces in Mindanao and Visayas to Luzon via land travel.
“We will continue to support the inter-island masterplan because we want an inter-island connectivity that every Filipino deserves. It’s about time we connect Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao via land travel,” he said.
Key projects under the inter-island bridge masterplan are the following:
- Bataan-Cavite Interlink Bridge, 32.15km
- Panglao-Tagbilaran City Offshore Connector Bridge, 2.71 km
- Panay-Guimaras-Negros Link Bridge, 32.47 km
- Cebu-Mactan Bridge and Coastal Road Construction Project, 3.3 km
- Panguil Bay Bridge, 3.17 km
- Samal Island-Davao City Connector Bridge, 3.98 km
- Guicam Bridge, 0.54 km
- Three Tawi-Tawi Bridges, 1.79 km
“In our effort to improve the lives of the Filipino people, infrastructure promoting connectivity between islands should be given top priority. This will lead to legacy building bridges that would leave a mark in connecting and improving the lives of Filipino people,” added Villar, who is running for senator in the May elections.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.