2 senators, military chief get COVID-19 | Inquirer News

2 senators, military chief get COVID-19

Sen. Panfilo Lacson, Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian and AFP chief of staff Gen. Andres Centino. INQUIRER FILE PHOTOS

Two senators, both running for office, and the chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines are among the more than 20,000 most recent COVID-19 cases in the country.

The two senators are Panfilo Lacson, who is running for president, and Sherwin Gatchalian, who is seeking his second term.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lacson announced on Twitter that he tested positive for the new coronavirus. He took the test on Jan. 4 and got his results on Jan. 6.

He said he immediately informed his physical contacts about the result so that they could take extra precautions.

FEATURED STORIES

“Thank God no one is exhibiting symptoms. Wearing our masks helped much,” he said on Twitter.

Lacson said on Tuesday that he was in isolation and had sore throat after getting exposed to a COVID-19 patient.

Gatchalian also announced his COVID-19 diagnosis on Twitter and said he was also in isolation, although he was only experiencing mild symptoms.

“So far, I am only experiencing mild symptoms from the virus, and this goes to show that the vaccines are effective and working against it. I enjoin everyone to get your booster shots right away,” he said.

Also infected is AFP chief of staff Gen. Andres Centino who tested positive on Thursday, but only with mild symptoms, the military confirmed.

Centino was currently staying in an isolation facility at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City “where he will continue to perform his job, albeit in quarantine,” Col. Ramon Zagala, spokesperson for the AFP, said in a statement on Friday.

“He remains in full command of the AFP, supervising all units in carrying out their assigned tasks through all allowed and available means,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 54-year-old Centino was fully vaccinated and also received a booster shot. His close contacts were also under quarantine.

Earlier this week, Centino’s boss, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, also said he was in quarantine after being exposed to infected individuals in his household.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr., chief implementer of the government’s pandemic response measures, are also in self-isolation.

Duque and Galvez were exposed to infected members of their respective staffs.

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat also isolated herself on Thursday after she was exposed to a person with COVID-19. INQ

News handpicked by our editors

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: AFP chief, COVID-19, Gatchalian, pandemic, Panfilo Lacson
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.