DTI estimates economic loss to reach P200M, 100K affected with shift to Alert Level 3 in NCR | Inquirer News
Close  

DTI estimates economic loss to reach P200M, 100K affected with shift to Alert Level 3 in NCR

/ 02:12 PM January 03, 2022

MANILA, Philippines — At least 100,000 affected workers and P200 million potential revenues were estimated to have been lost as Metro Manila escalated to Alert Level 3 amid rising coronavirus cases, Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez said on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Metro Manila has been placed under the more stringent Alert Level 3 from January 3 to 15 following an “exponential” spike in COVID-19 infections and the detection of local transmission of the highly contagious Omicron variant.

“As reported, in terms of jobs, mga [100,000] to 200,000, and if I remember right, mga P200 million din ‘yung estimate natin na possible losses, which was the gain also when we move from Alert Level 3 to 2,” Lopez said during the Laging Handa briefing.

FEATURED STORIES

“So, in effect, ito rin ‘yung numero na pagbabasehan natin na maaaring bumalik lamang tayo dito sa pag-atras na ito dahil sa paggalaw to Alert Level 3,” he continued.

The sudden spike in COVID cases in the capital region rendered it “high-risk” for COVID-19 transmission, based on the monitoring of independent COVID-19 monitor Octa Research claimed earlier.

Under Alert Level 3, indoor establishments may cater 30-percent venue capacity while 50-percent for outdoor establishments.

For Lopez, the lower maximum capacity has no significant effect.

“Sa tingin po natin, hindi po masyadong malaki ang epekto nito dahil naalala ninyo nung tayo rin ay gumalaw mula Alert Level 3 nung bandang I think November last year papunta sa Alert Level 2, nabanggit din natin na may kaunting pag-improve lamang dahil ang different in terms of sectors opened ay minimal na lamang,” he noted.

(We think the effect is not that significant because if you remember when we deescalated from Alert Level 3 to 2 last November, I think, we mentioned that there is only a small improvement because the only difference in the sectors opened is just minimal.)

“Ang malaking kinaiba lang nito ay ‘yung mga operating capacity as mentioned kanina, of course binaba by 20-percentage points. So, ‘yung dating 70 percent outdoor, naging 50 percent at ‘yung dating 50 percent indoor naging 30 percent,” said the secretary.

ADVERTISEMENT

(The big difference here is the operating capacity which was lowered by 20-percentage points. So, the previous 70-percent outdoor capacity became 50 percent and the previous 50-percent venue indoor capacity became 30 percent.)

The following establishments and activities are allowed with reduced capacity under Alert Level 3:

-cinemas

-meetings, incentives, conferences, exhibitions

-social events such wedding parties, engagements, debut, birthday parties

-tourist attractions including libraries

-amusement parks

-recreational venues

-in-person religious gatherings

-licensure exams

-dine-in services

-personal care services

-fitness studios, non-contact sports

-film, music, television production

EDV

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Alert Level 3, DTI, Metro Manila, NCR, Ramon Lopez
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.