Manila continues donation drive to help victims of Typhoon Odette | Inquirer News
Close  

Manila continues donation drive to help victims of Typhoon Odette

By: - Contributor / @inquirerdotnet
04:13 PM December 23, 2021
typhoon odette

This aerial photo taken on December 17, 2021, shows houses destroyed by Super Typhoon Odette after the storm crossed over Surigao City in Surigao del Norte province. (AFP) 

MANILA, Philippines–The local official spearheading the City of Manila’s relief efforts has appealed for more donations among city residents as there are still areas in the Visayas and Northern Mindanao yet to get any help days after Typhoon Odette barreled its way across several provinces last week.

Leilani Marie “Lei” Honrado Lacuna, Liga ng mga Barangay – Manila Chapter President, said she received information that many areas in Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur and Surigao del Norte are needing immediate relief assistance such as food, water, medicines, clothing and blankets.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ako’y kumakatok sa inyong busilak na puso na kung anuman ang inyong taos-pusong pwedeng ibigay sa mga kapatid na nangangailangan na nasalanta ng bagyo eh pwede po kayo mag donate sa amin. Hindi na din kasi bago sa aming mga tiga-Maynila dahil sa lahat ng dumating na kalamidad eh nag donate sila. Naging mabagal lang dahil nasabay sa gift giving ng mga barangay,” Lacuna said.

Lacuna, younger sister of Manila Vice Mayor Honey, said it doesn’t’ matter how much or what kind of assistance one will give for as long as this came from their hearts.

FEATURED STORIES

“Meron kaming contact sa Mindanao, si Mam Shey (Sakularan) who is a representative for Muslims who said that people in those provinces are in need of cash and goods. Siya po ang nag-identify ng areas sa Mindanao that were also badly affected,” Lacuna pointed out.

“Marami pang nangangailangan. It doesn’t matter kung anong bagay for as long this will help those who are in need of immediate assistance. Basta kung ano ang nasa bukal sa kalooban mo, maliit man o malaki, it doesn’t matter,” Lacuna added.

Lacuna said the “bayanihan spirit” of Filipinos is always alive particularly during times of calamities. She cited the case of a young girl, who is a daughter of the chairwoman of one of the barangays in Sta. Cruz, Manila who gave all of her savings as her own way of helping families severely affected by the destructive typhoon.

The young girl identified as Iya Abella was accompanied by her mother when she handed her savings to her which she put in a small plastic container. She was ecstatic in knowing that the money she donated will be use in a good way.

“Yung lahat ng savings niya eh binigay niya nung nalaman niya na nagbibigay ng tulong ang mga tao sa mga nasalanta ng bagyo. Nakalagay sa Tupperware ang mga barya at perang papel na i-dinonate niya para sa aming relief drive,” Lacuna said.

Lacuna said for food donations, the drop-off point is at no. 813 P. Noval St. corner Sergio H. Loyola, Sampaloc, Manila. Contact details: 0969-4596261; 0969-4596262; 0927-7971723. Point person is Marissa David.

For more information on how to donate, visit the official Isko Moreno Domagoso Facebook page.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, Aksyon Demokratiko vice presidential candidate Dr. Willie Ong and his wife, Doc Liza, visited the relief operations center in P. Noval St. and thanked the volunteers for their efforts in overseeing the donation drive.

Ong and Doc Liza visited the area on Tuesday and was accompanied inside by Chris Santos, one of the people in charge of the relief operation and donation driver.

Santos said they have already repacked 16,200 packs of rice weighing three kilos each intended for people affected by the typhoon. He said rice being given came from Thailand.

Aside from rice, canned goods, noodles and other food and non-food items, Santos said they also received wheelchairs.

“May mga wheelchair rin po kami na nagre-request. Kapag may nag request ako po ang nagre-release niyan at pinadadala ko agad-agad. Hindi po nagtatagal ng isang araw o dalawang araw ang mga request, pinapadala po naming kaagad ‘yan,’ Santos said.

Santos appealed to the public especially Manilenos to continue giving donations to help as many people as possible.

“Tuloy-tuloy po ang aming operasyon calamity man po or hindi. Basta may nag request sa amin ng tulong pera man, wheel chair or ano mang bagay talaga pong ibinibigay kagad ni Mayor Isko. Ang gusto ni mayor pag binigay ‘yung request or na aprubahan ora mismo eh ibigay kahit na gabi. Kahit na hating gabi o madaling araw huwag lang ma stock,” Santos said.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Isko Moreno, Typhoon Odette
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.