Inmates not starved, food only delayed – Capitol exec
THE management of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) denied reports that inmates were starved after the near-riot last week.
Capitol consultant on jail matters Jose Marie Gastardo explained that probably, there was just a delay in the delivery of their food as this was being done cell to cell.
“We do not practice the punishment by depriving them of their meals,” Gastardo said.
Public shows or family visits for Cebu’s world-famous “dancing inmates” were put on hold by Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia after last Friday’s near-riot.
She said the privileges will resume once the inmates learn to behave again.
Garcia ordered the suspension of their privileges as well as their rehearsals and monthly performances after one inmate, Carillo Baldueza, brandished an improvised ice pick and was mobbed by his fellow inmates.
The 1,600 inmates are no longer allowed outside their cells and communal meals are also suspended.
Garcia has tasked Gastardo and Committee on Discipline and Investigation head, lawyer Lito Astillero to conduct a full and formal investigation on the incident last Friday.
They are also tasked to check on the behavior of the inmates after the incident. She expects their report within the week.
“Ascertain the moods of the inmates in order for me to be guided accordingly if such privileges will be restored or the extension of such. It really depends on them (inmates). They brought it upon themselves, we’ll see,” she told reporters yesterday in her regular news conference.
Garcia also met with Gastardo and OIC jail warden Napoleon Miranda to discuss possible reforms in the jail management.
“We will continue to institute reforms if ever there is a need for that,” Gastardo said. /Correspondent CArmel Loise Matus