Keep following health protocols to avoid COVID-19 resurgence, Duterte tells public
MANILA, Philippines — Keep following health protocols set by the government to prevent another surge of COVID-19 cases, President Rodrigo Duterte reminded the public in his taped weekly address that aired late Monday night.
Duterte recognized the downward trend of COVID-19 cases nationally, including the positivity rate and health care utilization.
“COVID-19 cases are going down. They’re going down everywhere [nationwide]. It’s up to us to really just take care that they won’t increase again,” he said, speaking in a mix of Filipino and English.
“Just follow [the health protocols… What I know, if we follow, there really is a resulting good that would happen,” he added.
Duterte also noted how the economy was still able to improve in the third quarter of 2021 despite lockdowns.
He also pointed out that the country’s vaccine supply had been stabilizing and encouraged Filipinos to get vaccinated.
He said he was seeing an improvement in the way of lives of Filipinos by Christmas, and the government should aim for minimal, if any, transmissions of COVID-19.
“Our supply is somewhat okay. We’re good, but it’s not really enough yet. But we still have a supply,” he said.
“If I can have the cooperation of all Filipinos, our country will run improve somehow, and hopefully, by Christmas, at least we target the minimal, if any, spread of virus here in our country,” he added.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.