Active COVID-19 cases in Subic Freeport back to zero
SUBIC BAY FREEPORT—For the first time since the first COVID-19 case was reported in this freeport in July last year, no new active case among workers, residents, and transients was reported, the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) announced Wednesday.
Citing records from the SBMA Public Health and Safety Department, SBMA Chief Wilma Eisma said the remaining active cases – five Subic residents and three SBMA employees who contracted the disease from Oct. 18 to 21- were declared “recovered.”
Since last year, the Freeport registered 275 confirmed cases among residents, with 271 recoveries (98.55 percent) and four deaths (1.45 percent); and 128 confirmed cases among transients, with 124 recoveries (96.8 percent), one death, and three relocated cases.
“We can all breathe that much-needed sigh of relief. But still, this does not mean we can already relax our guard against the virus,” said Eisma in a statement.
She added: “Remember that we are easing restrictions not because COVID-19 is gone, but because we have to sustain the economy, which has been badly affected by the pandemic.”
The Freeport was recently placed under Alert Level 2, the second-lowest alert status, prompting the SBMA to relax restrictions on the entry to the Freeport.
It also allowed children 14 years old and below to go to parks and other open spaces, as well as al fresco dining restaurants here.
Those 65 years old and above could go to malls, shops, and other enclosed spaces when fully vaccinated, she added.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.