Ex-Malacañang exec declared persona non grata in Benguet over 'armed takeover' of power utility office | Inquirer News
Close  

Ex-Malacañang exec declared persona non grata in Benguet over ‘armed takeover’ of power utility office

By: - Correspondent / @kquitasolINQ
/ 04:44 PM November 08, 2021
Ana Maria Paz Rafael

Ana Maria Paz Rafael. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet––The provincial board on Monday (Nov. 8) declared lawyer Ana Maria Paz Rafael, former assistant secretary of the Presidential Communications Operations Office, as persona non grata (unwelcome) in Benguet after the recent armed takeover of the power utility serving the province and Baguio City.

Voting 13 in favor and one abstention, the provincial board issued a resolution for the declaration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Vice Gov. Johnny Waguis said Rafael lied when she told the board during the Nov. 3 session that she arrived at the headquarters of the Benguet Electric Cooperative (Beneco) in South Drive around 7 a.m. during the takeover on Oct. 18

Waguis said video footage with time stamps showed that Rafael was at the compound as early as 5 a.m.

FEATURED STORIES

The National Electrification Administration (NEA) had designated Rafael as manager of Beneco to replace Melchor Licoben.

Licoben, who assumed the leadership of Beneco by succession last year, was slapped a 90-day preventive suspension by the NEA, along with Beneco’s board president and six directors, who voted to reject Rafael’s appointment due to her alleged ineligibility.

Lawyer Omar Mayo, legal officer of NEA, designated by the regulator as Beneco “caretaker,” had also been declared persona non grata in Benguet last week.

Mayo reportedly led the forcible takeover of the Beneco office backed by NEA-deputized policemen.

During the provincial board session last week, Rafael was asked why she should not be declared persona non grata, to which she replied: “up to you to decide.”

The board also asked her if she could give way and respect the public clamor, Rafael said: “I just want to work … unless and until my appointment is annulled, I need to work as the general manager.”

In an interview last week, Board Member Juan Nazaro said they did not initially include Rafael in the persona non grata declaration saying they still had to verify her statement that she was not present during the armed takeover.

lzb

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ana Maria Paz Rafael, armed takeover, Baguio City, Benguet, persona non grata, power utility, Presidential Communications Operations Office, Provincial Board, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.