1 dead in fire that hit house on lockdown in Zamboanga City
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Zamboanga del Sur—A house placed on lockdown was razed by fire due to an electrical short circuit and a person died due to severe burns.
Chief Inspector Jacqueline Ortega, the city fire marshal, said the fire incident occurred at Quidilla Drive, along Governor Alvarez Street in Barangay Camino Nuevo, around 2:30 p.m. on Thursday (October 14.)
Ortega said that the two-story structure made of semi-concrete and light materials was totally burned while another two-story house nearby was partially damaged.
Firefighters were able to rescue 70-year-old Teresita Co, who suffered first-degree burns and slight burns at the upper back portion of her body.
They also recovered the body of Clarita Co, 66, a companion of Teresita.
“The six persons from the two houses are safe and they were immediately transferred to another house for further quarantine procedures,” Ortega said.
“We were notified that the house that was razed down by fire was on lockdown for eight days now and when the fire broke out, they immediately relocated to a nearby house that was partially burned,” Ortega said.
She assured that all their firefighters didn’t come in contact with the fire victims during the rescue and as they fought off the fire.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.