Bulacan stays under MECQ but gov to appeal for looser curbs
CITY OF MALOLOS––Bulacan will remain under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from Oct. 16-31, but Gov. Daniel Fernando said he would appeal for a less restrictive quarantine classification.
In an interview, Fernando said the province’s active cases had dropped below the 1,000-mark as of Wednesday after registering 895 active infections. The figure was lower than 1,052 active cases logged the previous day.
It was in August when the province’s active infections peaked at 4,700, local data showed.
Since last year, Bulacan had recorded 80,096 COVID-19 cases, but 77, 862 of them had recovered.
Fernando said the declining cases indicate that the province could already be under modified general community quarantine, the least restrictive containment status in the country.
But he asked residents to remain vigilant and continue to observe minimum health protocols.
Bulacan has vaccinated 58 percent of its target population of 2.8 million.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.