Guevarra vows to release findings on drug killings | Inquirer News
Close  

Guevarra vows to release findings on drug killings

MANILA, Philippines — Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Friday reiterated that the findings of the investigation of the questionable killings of drug suspects in connection with President Rodrigo Duterte’s brutal war on drugs would be released to the public in due time.

Guevarra made the assurance in response to the remarks of United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet during the 48th session of the UN Human Rights Council on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I encourage [the] publication of the panel’s findings so its work can be evaluated,” Bachelet said.

Guevarra said Duterte had already approved the release of the review of his bloody anti-drug campaign being conducted by a panel headed by the Department of Justice (DOJ).

FEATURED STORIES

The examination would be focusing on the initial batch of 52 cases involving 154 policemen, which had already been turned over by the DOJ-led body to the National Bureau of Investigation.

“The government has no intention of keeping its review and investigation of the anti-illegal drug campaign secret as this matter is openly reported to the people as the process goes along,” Guevarra said in a Viber message.

The National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers (NUPL), whose members were representing some of the drug war victims, welcomed Bachelet’s latest statement.

“We subscribe to the need to publish the findings of the rather belated ‘investigation’ by the Philippine government on the paltry cases related to the ‘drug war’ so it can be ‘evaluated’ and to ensure transparency,” said Edre Olalia, president of NUPL, in a statement.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the International Criminal Court would be hard-pressed to uncover the truth behind the war on drugs because the Philippine government would not cooperate with it.

Roque said in a televised briefing that those who have complaints about the administration’s campaign against illegal drugs should seek redress before Philippine courts.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DoJ, Drug war, duterte, ICC, Menardo Guevarra, NUPL, Probe, rights, UNHRC
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.