Process to acquire landing docks for PH Navy restarts | Inquirer News
Close  

Process to acquire landing docks for PH Navy restarts

/ 11:40 AM October 04, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of National Defense has restarted the bidding for the acquisition of two landing platform docks for the Philippine Navy.

An invitation to bid dated Sept. 30 was posted on the DND’s official website. This would be the fourth attempt to acquire such vessels, seen to enhance the Navy’s amphibious landing missions and transport tasks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Three attempts had earlier failed since 2019 for various reasons, according to two security officials privy to the matter.

On the third try, Megaship Builders’ joint venture with a Malaysian shipbuilder, the lowest bidder in 2019, was disqualified after the bid due to lack of equipment and facilities. The resolution on the motion to reconsider took a while, which resulted in the restarting of the bid, said one official.

FEATURED STORIES

Another official said the terms of reference and bidding documents caused confusion, as the requirements of the Navy and rules of the Bids and Awards Committee got mixed up. But these issues had already been fixed, he said.

The vessels for acquisition were expected to be improvements of the two Tarlac-class strategic sealift vessels currently in the Navy’s inventory—the BRP Tarlac (LD-601) and BRP Davao del Sur (LD-602)—both built by Indonesian shipbuilder PT Pal Persero.

The DND is allocating P5.56 billion for two strategic sealift vessels, with four landing craft utility and four units of rigid hull inflatable boats.

A pre-bid conference will be held on Oct. 12, while the deadline of submission of bids is on Oct. 26.

In a related development, the potential acquisition of two corvettes from South Korea appeared to be nearing the final stages.

Negotiations concluded last week and the next step would be a post qualification inspection in South Korea, said a security official.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana earlier said the acquisition of big-ticket military modernization projects, like the corvettes, was stalled as funds were diverted to COVID-19 response.

The Philippine military remains to be one of the weakest in the region, leaving the sprawling archipelago vulnerable to threats like China’s aggression and expansionist territorial claims.

TSB

RELATED:

Lorenzana: US weapons preferred but cost steep for PH

A timeline: Philippine Navy rides waves of frigates deal

PH military trudges on a long road to credible defense capacity

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: bidding, corvettes, Department of National Defense, landing docks, Modernization, Philippine Navy, South korea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.