Marcos party names Bongbong as standard bearer
MANILA, Philippines—The Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL) has endorsed former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. as its presidential candidate in next year’s elections.
KBL, a political party founded by Bongbong’s father, the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, nominated the younger Marcos as its standard bearer in a national assembly in Binangonan town, Rizal province on Friday (Sept. 24).
In a resolution, KBL said Marcos’ nomination was unanimously approved by officers and members of the party.
Marcos, at an online forum, said he was close to announcing his decision to run for a national post.
“Talks are nearing their end,” said Marcos in Filipino at Friday News Forum, which coincided with the KBL convention. “We are very close to coming to a decision that I will announce soon,” he said.
Marcos, who remained a member of the Nacionalista Party, thanked the KBL but has yet to accept the nomination.
“If they have endorsed me, I also thank them for that expression of support and trust that they have bestowed upon me,” he said.
“I will answer when the time comes. You can’t rush these things and I fully intend to take all the available time that I have to make my decision,” he added.
The 64-year-old Marcos lost the vice presidential race in 2016 to Vice President Leni Robredo and protested the results claiming he was cheated.
Marcos’ protest had been junked by the Supreme Court.
Robredo recently said she was ready to face off with Marcos or anyone backed by President Rodrigo Duterte.
“Kapag tumakbo ka naman hindi para lumaban sa isang tao. Ito ay dahil sa palagay mo may maitutulong ka at merong karanasan, may kakayahan ka, hindi ka tatakbo kontra kay ganito,” Marcos said when asked to comment on Robredo’s remarks.
(If you run it’s not to fight one person. This is because you believe you can help and you have experience, the capacity not to run against someone)
Marcos was a one-term senator before throwing his hat in the vice presidential race in 2016. He first became Ilocos Norte vice governor at the age of 23. He became governor from 1983 to 1986, the year the elder Marcos was ousted in a peaceful revolt and the family was forced to flee in exile to Hawaii.
In 1992, when his family returned, Marcos served as congressman in the second district of Ilocos Norte. In 1998 to 2007, he was governor of Ilocos Norte for three consecutive terms.
He returned to Congress in 2007 before he ran and won a seat in the Philippine Senate in 2010.
A coalition of victims of martial law expressed disgust at the possible presidential bid of Marcos.
“Bongbong’s run is a mad attempt for the Marcoses to return and restore their power and rule on a country pillaged and violated during Marcos’ martial law,” the Campaign Against the Return of the Marcoses and Martial Law (Carmma) said in a statement.
The group said Marcos’ political positioning was meant “to further evade accountability for their crimes, and to promote the historical lies that they have perpetuated.”
“It is also a form of direct support for Duterte’s continuation of his murderous rule, with the Marcoses serving as among his closest allies throughout his administration ridden with countless allegations of extrajudicial killings and other human rights violations, corruption and anti-people governance, and subservience to foreign interests,” Carmma said.
Just months after he became president in 2016, Duterte allowed the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos to be buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, a graveyard for soldiers and heroes who gave their lives up for the nation.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.