P16-M fine imposed vs 8 GenCos over violations; won’t be passed on to consumers
MANILA, Philippines — Eight generation companies (GenCos) have been fined a total of P16 million over violations on their allowable forced outages.
Zamboanga City 2nd District Rep. Manuel Jose Dalipe disclosed this Thursday as he defended the proposed 2022 budget of the Department of Energy (DOE) and the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC).
“Eight out of nine respondents were held administratively liable [and the] total penalty imposed [was] at P16 million,” Dalipe said.
Dalipe said all of the penalties will go to the National Treasury.
“Hindi ipapasa sa consumers… ang penalties [The penalties won’t be passed on to consumers],” Dalipe said.
Earlier this year, Luzon experienced rotational power interruptions due to thinning energy supply, with the area even being placed under red alert for 13 hours at one point.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.