Ilocos Sur bans leisure travel anew due to virus surge | Inquirer News
Close  

Ilocos Sur bans leisure travel anew due to virus surge

/ 04:16 PM September 22, 2021

LAOAG CITY—Amid the rising COVID-19 cases, Ilocos Sur has shut its doors anew on leisure travelers beginning Wednesday, Sept.22, further delaying the recovery of its tourism sector battered by the pandemic, officials said.

In an advisory, Michael Ryan Astom, Ilocos Sur tourism officer, said tourists would not be allowed to enter the province until Oct. 6 as most of its towns and cities had been placed under enhanced community quarantine for two weeks due to a spike in COVID-19 cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said tourists who have booked their tour arrangements were advised to reschedule, adding that travel requests made through the province’s online portal had been disabled for the next two weeks.

Astom said hotels and accommodations in the province would be allowed to operate at 50-percent capacity only to cater to authorized persons outside their residences.

FEATURED STORIES

In the next two weeks, the provincial government would try to boost its promotional activities to entice tourists to visit the province once quarantine curbs are lifted, said Astom.

The tourism surge in the past years had been an essential driver of the province’s economy, supporting at least 8,000 workers, local government data showed.

In neighboring Ilocos Norte, Gov. Matthew Marcos Manotoc issued an executive order that required tourists from areas under COVID-19 alert level 4 to present negative RT-PCR test results taken within 72 hours before their travel.

They may also present a negative rapid antigen test (RAT) taken within 24 hours before traveling to the province. A negative RAT result is also required for those from under general community quarantine (GCQ) or modified GCQ areas, and those under alert levels 1, 2, and 3.

Ilocos Norte reopened last week to residents its various tourism sites in towns and cities under GCQ.

lzb

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Ilocos Sur, leisure travelers, Regions, Tourism
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.