Duterte OKs pilot face-to-face classes in areas with minimal risk for COVID-19 | Inquirer News
Close  

Duterte OKs pilot face-to-face classes in areas with minimal risk for COVID-19

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 12:38 PM September 20, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the holding of pilot face-to-face classes in areas with minimal risk for COVID-19, Malacañang announced Monday.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the classes will be held on half-days and will only be every other week.

ADVERTISEMENT

It will be the Department of Health  that will determine the risk for COVID-19 in several areas.

The classes should also pass the “safety assessment” of the Department of Education (DepEd).

FEATURED STORIES

This should also have the written support and consent of the parents of students, Roque said.

Additionally, this should have the support of local government units through resolutions or letters of support, he added.

Education Secretary Leonor Briones said the start of pilot classes has no exact date yet but it will be implemented in 100 public schools. The department is also reviewing the application of 20 private schools to conduct in-person classes.

She added that the implementation of in-person classes will be based on the “preparedness of schools.”

Under the approved guidelines for face-to-face classes, Kindergarten classes will have 12 students while Grade 1 to 3 classes will have 16 students.

Technical vocational classes, meanwhile, can have as many as 20 students.

Classes in Kindergarten to Grade 3 must only last for three hours maximum, Briones said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The pilot run will last for a two-month period, which will be “closely monitored,” Briones said.

The DepEd is looking to eventually extend the implementation of face-to-face classes to more schools when the pilot classes prove to be safe and effective.

This will be based on periodic risk assessments, Briones added.

“Kung safe ang pilot and it is effective then we will gradually increase pero ang mahalaga, bantayan natin kung ano ang risk assessment. Kapag may pagbabago sa risk assessment then talagang ititigil natin,” she said.

(If the pilot proves to be safe and effective then we will gradually increase but what’s important is we are monitoring our risk assessment. We will stop it if there are changes in the risk assessment.)

The Philippine government was supposed to hold the pilot run for in-person classes earlier this year but President Duterte cancelled this over the emergence of more infectious COVID-19 variants.

je

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, DepEd, duterte, face-to-face classes, minimal risk, Pilot
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.