Año apologizes for Roque’s outburst vs doctors
MANILA, Philippines — Interior Secretary Eduardo Año on Tuesday apologized to the medical community after presidential spokesperson Harry Roque berated a group of doctors during an online meeting of the task force on pandemic response last week.
“For me personally, I want to apologize to the health sector. That is an unfortunate event that should not have happened,” Año told CNN Philippines.
While he acknowledged that Roque had a valid argument, Año did not agree with the way the Palace official said it.
“Of course, we are in the government, but that should not be a privilege for us to shout at anyone. We are all citizens of this country and we should respect each other,” he said.
Roque drew flak after a leaked video that went viral showed him angrily scolding doctors during a meeting of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases on Sept. 7. Roque later apologized for his behavior.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.