Classes, work suspended in Cagayan province due to ‘Kiko’
TUGUEGARAO CITY––Gov. Manuel Mamba of Cagayan province on Friday, Sept. 10, ordered the suspension of online classes and work in government and private offices, except for those rendering disaster-response services in preparation for “Kiko” (International name: Chanthu).
Mamba cautioned villagers in low-lying areas against landslides and floods as he also enforced a liquor ban.
The provincial disaster and risk-reduction management office said rescue teams and relief packs were on standby.
Mamba said they would implement all necessary precautionary measures to avoid a repeat of the massive floods that the province and the entire Cagayan Valley region experienced last year at the height of Typhoon “Ulysses” (Vamco).
Kiko slightly weakened Friday over the Philippine Sea, but Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal No. 3 was raised in northern Cagayan, according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration.
The state weather bureau said the center of Kiko’s eye was spotted Friday morning around 280 kilometers east-northeast of Casiguran town, Aurora province.
It packed maximum sustained winds of 185 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gustiness of up to 230 kph. INQ
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.