1-year-old boy among 6 new Delta variant cases in Ilocos Sur
LAOAG CITY—A year-old boy from San Ildefonso town in Ilocos Sur is among the six new cases of the highly transmissible Delta variant of COVID-19, according to Gov. Ryan Luis Singson.
The Department of Health (DOH) in the Ilocos Region confirmed the six new cases, Singson said in a statement on Tuesday, Sept. 7.
Two children, aged 9 and 10, were also afflicted with the variant that health authorities cited as having fueled the rise in COVID-19 cases across the country.
Singson said the three children had no travel history outside of the province.
The governor said COVID-19 cases among children and the elderly had been increasing at an “alarming” rate.
“We now see a clustering of cases where almost all members of a household become infected as compared to several months ago,” Singson added.
The Delta variant also infected three adults aged 31 to 47 years old. The three also had no noted travels outside the province, according to Singson.
Five of the six confirmed Delta variant cases displayed common symptoms of COVID-19, except for the 10-year-old girl who was tagged as “asymptomatic.”
On Aug. 29, the province first logged its five cases of the COVID-19 Delta variant.
COVID-19 cases are surging in Ilocos Sur that logged its highest number of infections in a day at 329 on Sept. 5, according to the provincial government.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.