Metro Manila courts to remain closed until end-September
MANILA, Philippines — Courts and judicial offices in the National Capital Region (NCR) will remain shut until the end of the month after the government opted to impose localized lockdowns in certain areas in the metropolis, the Supreme Court said on Tuesday.
In a circular, Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez said only the high court’s offices would resume operations starting on Wednesday.
He said courts in other areas in the country that had been placed on strict lockdowns would remain physically closed to protect court workers and the public.
“However, courts in NCR shall continue to operate online and conduct videoconferencing hearings on pending cases and all other matters,” Marquez said.
Since the pandemic broke out last year, the high tribunal has been forced to order the closure of local courts intermittently as many judges and court personnel got infected with the virus.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.