Comelec postpones 5 plebiscites | Inquirer News
Close  

Comelec postpones 5 plebiscites

/ 05:22 AM August 20, 2021

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) will postpone five plebiscites, including one that will decide whether to divide Maguindanao into two provinces, until after the May 9, 2022, national and local elections.

In a resolution issued last week, the Comelec said it needed to set a cut-off date for the conduct of plebiscites in order to put all its resources into the preparation for next year’s national and local elections.

ADVERTISEMENT

The plebiscites, which the Comelec said will be conducted “within four months from the end of the election period,” were supposed to ratify dividing Maguindanao into two provinces; converting the municipality of Calaca in Batangas province into a component city; converting San Jose Del Monte City into a highly urbanized city; creating Barangay New Canaan in the municipality of Alabel, Sarangani; and merging Barangay District 1 with Barangay District 28 and renaming Barangay 29 in Ormoc City. —DONA Z. PAZZIBUGAN

FEATURED STORIES

News handpicked by our editors


Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Comelec, Maguindanao, Plebiscite, postponement
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.