Bulacan to return to stricter quarantine amid surge in COVID-19 cases, deaths
CITY OF MALOLOS—The province of Bulacan will be placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ), the second most restrictive quarantine classification, from Aug. 16-30 due to a spike in COVID-19 cases and deaths, officials said on Thursday (Aug. 12).
In an interview, Gov. Daniel Fernando told the Inquirer that the new quarantine status of the province was already approved by the national Inter-Agency Task Force. Bulacan is currently on general community quarantine, the second least restrictive form of quarantine, with heightened restrictions.
As of Wednesday, the COVID-19 death toll in the province has already reached 1,010 with 40 new fatalities in the last four days.
At least 1,059 new COVID-19 cases were also recorded in the same period, raising to 48,453 the total number of infections that were recorded in the province since last year.
Bulacan has already logged seven cases of the more contagious Delta variant of COVID-19 but two of them had already recovered, said Dr. Hjordis Marushka Celis, Bulacan COVID-19 Task Force vice chair.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.