Palestinian dies of Israeli gunfire after West Bank clashes -- health ministry | Inquirer News

Palestinian dies of Israeli gunfire after West Bank clashes — health ministry

/ 10:43 PM August 06, 2021
A Palestinian shot by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank died of his wounds on Friday, the Palestinian health ministry said.

A Palestinian child rides his bicycle in front of the ruins of a building destroyed during recent Israeli bombing in Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip, on May 26, 2021. (File photo / SAID KHATIB / AFP)

BEITA, Palestinian Territories — A Palestinian shot by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank died of his wounds on Friday, the Palestinian health ministry said.

Imad Ali Mohammad Dweikat, 38, reached hospital in the city of Nablus “in a critical state” after receiving “a live bullet to the chest” in the nearby town of Beita, it said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Beita sees regular demonstrations against the Israeli occupation and settlement expansion, which often degenerate into clashes.

An AFP reporter saw hundreds of demonstrators protesting outside the town on Friday afternoon, some throwing rocks at Israeli troops.

FEATURED STORIES

The Israeli army told AFP a “riot” had been instigated by “700 Palestinians who burned tires and hurled rocks and Molotov cocktails at IDF troops and border police officers, who responded with riot dispersal means.”

“We are aware of reports that a Palestinian was killed and a number of Palestinians were injured,” it said, without adding details.

Last Friday, some 270 Palestinians were wounded in clashes with Israeli troops during protests in Beita and during the funeral of a young Palestinian killed the day before, the Palestinian Red Crescent reported.

On July 23, 320 Palestinians were wounded or suffered from tear gas inhalation in clashes with Israeli forces in Beita, medics said. A teenager shot by Israeli forces later died of his wounds.

Beita residents have been demonstrating since May against the wildcat Eviatar Jewish settlement set up nearby without official permission from Israeli authorities.

The settlement was evacuated in early July but Israeli army troops remain stationed there while authorities deliberate on its fate.

If the settlement is approved, its founders will be allowed to take up residence there more permanently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Beita’s residents have vowed to continue their campaign until the army also leaves the outpost.

Israel occupied the West Bank during the 1967 Six-Day War and all Jewish settlements there are considered illegal by most of the international community.

Almost half a million people live in Israeli settlements in the West Bank, alongside 2.8 million Palestinians.

RELATED STORY:

Israeli forces kill Palestinian during clashes in West Bank, officials say

JPV
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: clashes, Conflict, Israel, Military, Palestinian, West Bank
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.