'Somebody’s threats vs unvaccinated people triggered public fear' - Isko | Inquirer News
Close  
shots fired

‘Somebody’s threats vs unvaccinated people triggered public fear’ – Isko

/ 09:37 AM August 06, 2021
Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Sinovac vaccine

(Niño Jesus Orbeta/Philippine Daily Inquirer file photo)

MANILA, Philippines — The reckless statements and threats made by “somebody” against unvaccinated individuals generated fear among the public, Manila Mayor Isko Moreno said, following the chaos that ensued in vaccination sites in the city.

“Unang-una, kasalanan na nga naming gobyerno. Bakit? E dapat yung bakuna noon pa dumating, e ngayon, natakot pa ata ang mga tao kasi may mga kiyaw kiyaw pa na ipakukulong sila, ‘di sila bibigyan ng ayuda ‘pag hindi bakunado, hindi sila palalabasin,” Moreno said in an interview on ANC.

ADVERTISEMENT

(First of all, it’s us in the government who are at fault. Why? Because the vaccines should have arrived a long time ago, people got scared because of remarks that they would be jailed, not given aid, and not allowed to go outside.)

“I did not make that statement; somebody did. That generate[d] fear,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

“I’m not the type of person who will go out in the evening and keep pointing fingers [at] others. I always look [in] the mirror. As I have said, it’s (vaccination drive) not perfect, but it delivers the objective we are achieving,” he also said.

While Moreno did not name names, President Rodrigo Duterte, in a speech last week, said he would ask the police to escort unvaccinated people back to their homes.

Before this, Duterte also threatened arrest to those who refuse to get vaccinated.

When asked point-blank if Duterte should be blamed for the chaos that broke out in inoculation sites on Thursday, Moreno replied: “No, that’s unfair.”

Metro Manila residents flocked to vaccination sites ahead of the reimposed enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in the region, with the City of Manila recording at least 19,000 individuals in their jab centers.

The ECQ begins Friday and will last until Aug. 20.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque has earlier denied that Duterte’s pronouncement led to the crowding of the vaccination sites, saying “fake news” is to blame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Roque also dispelled circulating false information that the government had imposed even more COVID-19 restrictions, including disallowing unvaccinated people from going out and excluding them from receiving cash assistance during ECQ.

The Palace official clarified that people could still go out of their homes during ECQ provided that they are classified as authorized persons outside of residence (APOR), and need to secure basic necessities like food or medicine.

He also said it is not true that unvaccinated but qualified individuals will not receive ECQ financial aid.

Moreno, meanwhile, assured that the City of Manila would continue to introduce innovations to improve its vaccination rollout amid challenges.

“We will continue. Ang guarantee ko na lang, we will continue to innovate, we will continue to adapt to the challenges but then again, that’s why they call it mass vaccination, we do it by the numbers, we do it by the speed of time because COVID-19, walang kinikilalang Saturday or Sunday, walang kinikilalang ulan, bagyo,” he said.

“Kailangan lang naka-focus, but just an assurance we will continue to innovate and adapt to the challenges of our day to day activities with regard to vaccination,” he added.

gsg

Subscribe to our daily newsletter


For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Manila Mayor Isko Moreano, unvaccinated, vaccination sites
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.