Lacson, Sotto postpone official launch of tandem for 2022 due to Delta threat
MANILA, Philippines — The official launch of the Lacson-Sotto tandem for the 2022 elections will be postponed due to the growing threat of the more transmissible COVID-19 Delta variant.
Senator Panfilo Lacson and Senate President Vicente Sotto III were supposed to hold an event on August 4, but have decided to reschedule it “due to the new developments” on the highly contagious variant.
“While we are dealing with a possible nationwide surge in the infection rate, we thought we thought it best to focus more on attending to our people’s health concerns and priorities than any other non-health related activities,” Sotto told reporters on Monday.
“It is a purely sensitivity issue, even considering that the event will be virtually presented,” he added.
According to Sotto, they are looking at rescheduling the event to September 8.
“We will make the proper announcement on the new launch event date which will be most probably right after the ECQ (enhanced community quarantine),” he said.
Last week, Malcañang announced that Metro Manila under ECQ from August 6 to 20 , the government’s strictest quarantine classification, from August 6 to 20.
In the meantime, Metro Manila will stay under the general community quarantine with heightened restrictions this Friday until August 5.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.