C-130 crash death toll rises as survivor dies from injuries
MANILA, Philippines—One of the survivors of the July 4 C-130 crash in Sulu has died from injuries suffered during one of the military’s worst air disasters, the Armed Forces of the Philippines said on Friday (July 16).
“The AFP is saddened to confirm the death of Pvt. Jesfel Mequiabas of Misamis Oriental who expired at 2:30 a.m. this July 16,” AFP public affairs chief Capt. Jonathan Zata said in a statement.
“The AFP has reached out to his loved ones and his remains are being prepared to be transported to his hometown,” Zata said.
Mequiabas’ death brought the death toll in the plane crash to 53 — 50 out of 96 military passengers onboard and three civilians on the ground.
Twenty-nine bodies have so far been identified, while the rest were still undergoing the process of identification, as they were burned beyond recognition.
Most of the passengers of the ill-fated Lockheed C-130 aircraft were supposed to be deployed to fight Abu Sayyaf terrorists in Sulu.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.