Robredo on PH’s maritime arbitration case vs China: 5 years of missed opportunities | Inquirer News
Close  

Robredo on PH’s maritime arbitration case vs China: 5 years of missed opportunities

/ 08:14 AM July 12, 2021
Lorenzana, NTF-WPS no longer allowed to talk, issue statements on sea row with China

Around 220 Chinese militia vessels were spotted moored at Julian Felipe Reef in the West Philippine Sea last March 7, 2021. (NTF WPS)

MANILA, Philippines — “Five years of missed opportunities.”

This was how Vice President Leni Robredo described on Monday the fifth anniversary of the Philippines’ arbitration victory against China on its territorial rights in the West Philippine Sea.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Today marks five years of missed opportunities regarding the West Philippine Sea,” Robredo said in a statement.

Robredo stressed that the Duterte administration has yet to fully utilize the ruling of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague on July 12, 2016 to pursue the country’s national interests.

FEATURED STORIES

“Since then, national leadership has yet to fully flex the ruling as an instrument to pursue our national interests, failing to invoke it in strong enough terms in the forums that matter most,” Robredo said.

“Our fisherfolk remain unable to enter areas that have been the source of livelihood for generations of Filipinos. Alliances that could have been strengthened were allowed to erode, while those who bully their way into our waters have been treated with deference, and at times, subservience. The dream of a regional architecture founded on respect and mutual prosperity has become even more elusive,” she noted.

Bongbong got it wrong: Robredo says PET junked entire poll protest

Vice President Leni Robredo (Photo by Jay Ganzon/OVP)

But the ruling, said Robredo, is already a definitive part of international law.

“It cannot be erased from the history books, and cannot be denied despite the unending lies spewed forth by a formidable machinery of disinformation,” she added.

She emphasized that “filing the case before the tribunal—standing up for what is right, against the economic and military might of a world power—yielded the admiration and respect of the entire world.”

“Today’s commemoration is a reminder, a challenge, and a promise: That if only we can remember, if only we can unite, if only we can rediscover our spirit and once again stand for what is right— we will find, beneath the rubble of cowardice and neglect, our courage, our dignity, and our national pride,” the Vice President said.

President Rodrigo Duterte in May called the victory of the Philippines over China at the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague as a mere “piece of paper,” to be thrown away.  

ADVERTISEMENT

He said in Filipino that “that paper, in real life, between nations, is nothing.”

RELATED STORIES:
Use arbitration win to assert rights in WPS, Robredo tells gov’t as ruling’s 5th anniversary nears

Robredo hits Duterte’s ‘pro-China’ stance on West Philippine Sea

gsg

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: China, Leni Robredo, West Philippine Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.