Mt. Kanlaon closed to climbers after quake
MANILA, Philippines—Cracks have appeared on the crater and slopes of Mt. Kanlaon, prompting the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to declare the popular eco-adventure destination off limits to trekkers and tourists for now.
The DENR on Tuesday warned those wishing to scale Kanlaon that it was too dangerous to make the climb following the magnitude-6.9 earthquake that struck the Negros provinces last week.
Environment Secretary Ramon Paje said the prohibition was issued by his department “to ensure the safety of tourists, both local and foreign.”
Mt. Kanlaon National Park Supt. Cecil L. Cañada said all advance booking and trekking permits had been suspended until further notice.
The DENR prohibition came a week after the tremor rocked Negros, killing over 70 people, burying towns and damaging roads.
Cañada said an initial onsite assessment showed that portions of Kanlaon’s crater were damaged by the quake. Aftershocks were also felt at the park, she added.
“There were cracks on the volcano surface and landslides. Mountain trails and the eco-tourism area of the park were also affected.”
Assessments conducted by MKNP eco-tourism officer Angelo C. Bibar and other trained guides and rescue groups based in La Carlota City also reported aftershocks.
Bibar said the aftershocks coupled with occasional heavy rainfall could pose a danger to trekkers.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.